Conferences & Workshops
I-CAN sponsored events
A key component of the I-CAN project is the organization of thematic conferences and workshops. I-CAN supported the organization of three congresses and workshops in East Africa:
- 1st Annual Rangelands Congress of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya, August 11-12, 2015. Organized by the African Conservation Centre (ACC).
- 2nd Annual Rangelands Congress of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya, November 29-30, 2016. Organized by the African Conservation Centre (ACC).
- Rethinking conservation models under the new community land act, Nanyuki, Kenya, June 15-16, 2017. Organized by the Indigenous Movement for Peace Advancement and Conflict Transformation (IMPACT).
I-CAN is currently preparing an international conference on land deals:
- “Transformations and visions: Responses, alternatives and resistances to large-scale land deals in the Global South.” To be held on May 23-35, 2018, in Halle/Saale, Germany. Co-organized by The Max Planck Institute for Social Anthropology and McGill University.
Participation in other international events
I-CAN, through its collaboration with the McGill Centre for Society, Technology and Development (STANDD) and the Centre for Indigenous Conservation and Development Alternatives (CICADA), to which it is affiliated, participated in two major conferences:
- First full conference of CICADA researchers and indigenous partner representatives. Nine I-CAN researchers and civil society partners made presentations during this conference.
- CICADA plenary conference of partners and researchers. The I-CAN team made 4 presentations during this conference.
The I-CAN team organized the following panels in international conferences:
- 115th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Minneapolis, USA, November 16-20, 2016: Session on Rhetoric, Reality & Refusals in Today’s Conservation organized by V.C Wright and J. Pollini.
- Workshop on ‘Shifting biocultural frontiers: reterritorialization and global entanglements in conservation areas of southern and eastern Africa, Koln, Germany, January 12, 2017. Organized by Prof. Michael Bollig, University of Cologne
- Joint Canadian Anthropological Society (CASCA) and IUAES annual meeting, Ottawa, Ontario, May 5, 2017: Panel entitled “Mediating livelihoods, stewardship and nature conservation: future directions in environmental anthropology” co-organized by Justin Raycraft.
- Symposium on Land issues, Local livelihoods, and Nature Conservation in Africa, December 1-3, 2017, University of Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan. Organized by Prof. Junko Maruyama.
- 116th Annual Meeting of the American Anthropological Association, Washington, D.C., December 1-5, 2017: Panel on Institutional inventions for wildlife conservation in Africa. Organized by Graham Fox and John Galaty.
Members of the I-CAN team also attended the following event:
- Open Society Justice Initiative: Strategic Litigation Impacts Study – Indigenous Peoples’ Land Rights, Westlands, Nairobi, June 21, 2016
I-CAN Planning Meetings
This list is not exhaustive. Meeting minutes will be made available whenever possible in the “Members Login” section of the website.
September 29: Planning meeting hosted by McGill University and the Centre for Society Technology and Development (STANDD), Montreal, Canada
October 1-2: Partnership grants start-up meeting, hosted by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) and International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Ottawa, Canada
December 8: Introductory meeting and regional launch, hosted by the African Conservation Centre (ACC), Arusha, Tanzania.
January 13: Steering committee meeting, hosted by ACC, Nairobi, Kenya
February 19-20: Axis leaders’ and project directors’ meeting, hosted by the Centre for Indigenous Conservation and Development Alternatives (CICADA), Montreal, Canada
September 22: I-CAN planning meeting, hosted by McGill University, Montreal, Canada
October 8-9: I-CAN stakeholders meeting, hosted by ACC, Nairobi, Kenya
April 18: Project Management Committee (PMC) meeting, hosted by ACC, Nairobi, Kenya
April 20: Tanzania I-CAN partner’s meeting, hosted by ACC and the Tanzania Natural Resources Forum (TNRF), Arusha, Tanzania
November 28: I-CAN Partners Meeting, hosted by ACC, Nairobi, Kenya
April 19: I-CAN partnership update and planning meeting, hosted by McGill University, Montreal, Canada